Thursday, July 24, 2008

Our Black Swallowtail Caterpillars

We had 4 tiny, tiny caterpillars munching away on our dill plants. I transfered them to a jar along with the clumps of dill, cut a couple holes in the top of the jar and put it on the table in the three seasons room. I forgot about them for a couple days...when I went to show them to my daughter they had quadroupled in size! I did some research and found another website ( a quitling website!) with an entry about swallowtail butterflies on her dill plants. She had some great pics and indeed they were the same as the ones we have. I did some furhter research and found out they are Black Swallowtail butterflies. How cool!

- Black Swallowtail caterpillar -





- Black Swallowtail butterfly -


Links:
http://www.glorious-butterfly.com/black-swallowtail-caterpillar.html

1 comment:

Randi said...

Glad you found them. I have two or three posts in my blog that have pics of black swallowtails, that I took in my backyard. If you want to see them, just type "swallowtail" in the search box on my blog, and it should bring up the posts. I plant dill & parsley just for them. I currently have over 20 caterpillars on one bunch of parsley alone. I hope most of them make it to be butterflies!